Brave Space offers self-formed racial affinity groups a 12-month blueprint to engage three areas crucial for racial awareness and healing:
1) Investigating our racial conditioning and impact through mindfulness-based inquiry;
2) Reducing internalized psychological distortions with members of our own race, and;
3) Attending to how we integrate racial awareness and impact members of our own race by consciously progressing through three stages of group life: Inclusion, Control, and Belonging.
This dynamic tripod creates an embodied learning laboratory for ripening racial literacy and inner stability that informs wise action.
Through structured and supportive monthly guidance, we are bringing to light our buried uneasiness, our deceptive discomfort, and our unadmitted despair. We are leaning into what is unfamiliar and inspecting more tenderly what is habitual and defended, as well as what is worthy of celebration. We are recognizing the stories we have been told and the stories we tell ourselves. We are seeing more clearly our role in racial harming and healing. We also experience the relief that self-awareness, honesty, vulnerability, and presence make available to us and others as we recognize our kinship and innate propensity for kindness, insight, and care. All this while having a bit of fun!
Learn How To...
- Deepen your understanding of your racial conditioning and its impact
- Strengthen your understanding of racial identity within intentional and caring community
- Listen deeply and stay present to racial complexity with less activation and more stability
- Repair inner moral injury through mindful intention, attention, and group connection
- Take more risks speaking your truth and confronting racism (or understand why you don't)
- Have more compassion toward yourself and other races
- Taste race without racism
This Course Includes:
- 12 monthly lesson plans that stimulate insight and prepare you for engagement within your racial affinity group meetings;
- Racial affinity group guidelines with an emphasis on commitment, consent, and mindful communications;
- Monthly racial inquiries thoughtfully constructed for individual contemplation and group engagement;
- 15 instructional videos and 19 guided meditations by Ruth King, and;
- Monthly instructions for navigating three stages of group development: Inclusion, Control, and Belonging.
- This 12 lesson, year-long, immersive program is estimated to require 72 hours of study.
A Potent Drop of Awareness
Brave Space is not a complete response to racial injury and injustice. Rather, we are deconstructing how we have been programmed to think and respond to race and racism, and recognizing whether our habits are harming or healing. It offers an intentional, structured, and graceful way to examine our racial conditioning within affinity community and over time.
By understanding our racial conditioning and attending to group growth, we learn how to embody racial awareness, stability, and social accountability. As these qualities ripen within, we become clearer about how we can lessen the weight of racial ignorance and injustice – internally and externally. We gradually discover that we can stay engaged with the truth of race and racism without shutting down or striking out.
The curiosity, sensitivity, and respect you will refine within your racial affinity group over this 12-month period is what strengthens your faith in humanity and purifies a dis-eased social heart. You will be able to stand tall in your understanding of your own race and be able to recognize and respond to social distress with fierce clarity.